by Group Office on 22 September, 2019
Department of Transport statistics show that the most dangerous type of road are rural single lane roads.
Councillor David Stoker says, “Durham South has its fair share of roads like this. Sadly there have been 3 fatalities in the last two years, and two of these were on roads with 60 mph speed limits.
“It is high time we got some speed reductions. I am campaigning to improve accident black spots in our area, and here are the worst ones:
● The A177 from Bowburn to High Shincliffe.
● The A177 from Shincliffe Bank, through the village.
● Mill Lane / Shincliffe Lane, which is full of blind curves, and a speed limit of 60 mph, where there has been a recent fatality.
● South Road at the Crematorium entrance, which has a blind dip at either end. Bizarrely the speed limit increases from 30 mph to 40 mph despite the fact that drivers may not be able to see corteges turning into, or leaving the Crematorium.
● The junction near the Seven Stars, where Shincliffe High Street meets the A177 is also a nightmare especially for cars exiting to go up the bank, and even worse for pedestrians crossing the road.”